Site Loctudy - Church Saint Tudy
Site Loctudy - Welcome

Site Loctudy - © Copyright 2011 – Tous droits réservés.

Church Saint Tudy

Loctudy [n01] has for eponym [n02] Saint Tudy. The principal church of Loctudy is under the patronym of Saint Tudy. It is not mentioned Saint Tugdual.

We advise in particular the excellent report: LE NAOUR, Sylvie, L'Eglise Saint-Tudy à Loctudy [the Saint-Tudy Church in Loctudy], UHB.[b_lena01]
Eglise Saint Tudy Geographical situation

The church Saint Tudy de Loctudy is located close to Kergolven, with some encablures of the sea. It is there undoubtedly the oldest center of Loctudy although it is excentred with respect to the street leading to the port (La Cale).
A placitre (quay level) includes and surrounds the church and has a surface seems it artificially planes. Parallel with the church, on the side of the sacristy, there vault of Porz Bihan [n03] is on this quay level. Beyond a low wall of enclosure, a light difference in level as well as a light declinitivity be downwards observed on the street placitre. By opposition, on the other side of the church, a strong difference of level of ground (approximately 3 meters) is observed between the elevated church and an orchard in contrebas. At the bottom, the presbytery forms a whole of buildings of which the entry be carried out by an old porch. In the vicinity, in Poulpeye, a hole of water with low water flow runs out. An old vault, dedicated to Saint Ignace, whose remainders were removed there is a few years, made place with a carpark. Only remains old a fontaine.
On the frontage of the church, the placitre contains a cross of mission. With the back of the church, side chorus, are the level low, undoubtedly the old estuary of the water hole. A crenelated lech, initially with the back of the church, had been placed on the frontage of the church, before being given recently to its initial position iniale behind the church. The placitre, all around the church, contained there is still ten years, a complete cemetery.
In the past, the local tradition reports that the sea levelled the church. This tradition is consolidated by the name Porz-Bihan (small port), allotted to the vault contiguous to the church Saint Tudy. There thus undoubtedly existed in this place a social life, centered around the church and based on the activity of a small primitive port.

Date of building
The abbey church Saint Tudy was built at the end of XIe century and the beginning of XIIe century. [b_sppa01]

"the building, in its entirety, kept the unit and all the characters of its initial construction, in spite of some light rehandlings in XVe century and addition of a porch in 1760 " [b_till01]. "The works of restoration by the architect Bigot in 1845, restored it Southern side in its primitive state." [b_till01] The presbytery of Loctudy was in particular rebuilt [since 1828] [b_gral01 p.150-151].

Roman church
The church Saint Tudy is a Roman church. It is "one of the Roman monuments most whole and best preserved of Brittany" [b_till01]. Style of Roman architecture seldom exist in the churches of Brittany with such a degree of conservation [b_sppa01]. It appears one of the Roman monuments purest in its style and of more attaching in its sobriety and its spirituality [b_sppa01]. Its columns and its capitals carved are remarquables.
The church however comprises not-Roman parts which can surprise. It is thus pinion-bell-tower, built in XVIIIe century by some vice-chancellor or fabrician who wanted an up to date bell-tower [b_corv01]. In the same way its frontage of XVIIIe century was rebuilt following one set fire to. The gate was remakes, but the style imitating the kind of the Lower Empire, with this aspect judaïc [n04] of cruisings superiors, is well what one is agreed to call Lombard [b_puig02 p.11].
The church Saint Tudy de Loctudy is marked by the influence of the benedictine abbey of Saint-Gildas-of-Rhuys in Vannetais.
The forgiveness of Tudy Saint takes place Sunday which follows on 11 May. [b_sppa01]

The carved capitals of the church Saint Tudy are remarquables.
Capitals of Saint Tudy church

Capitals of Saint Tudy church

Refitting of the cemetery
Work of refitting of the cemetery in 2004-2005 of the Saint Tudy church of Loctudy relate to the transformation of the placitre into it and pleasure garden refitting of the tombs of the cemetery.

Forgiveness (pardon) at the St Tudy church
Forgiveness at the St Tudy church Forgiveness at the St Tudy church Forgiveness at the St Tudy church
Forgiveness (pardon) at the St Tudy church towards 1880

Outside and interior
Eglise Saint Tudy Eglise Saint Tudy

Gaucherel, Leon, Outside of the church of Loctudy, drawing, towards 1840. [b_gall01]
Notice the christianized stele located behind the apse of the church.

Mayer, Auguste Etienne François (1805-1890), Interior of the church of Loctudy, drawing, 1833. [b_gall01]

Abbey and Monastery of Loctudy

It is first of all advisable to indicate the difference between the terms monastery and abbey. A monastery is the place inhabited by monks or religious women. An abbey is a monastery directed by an abbot or an abbess, but the term indicates also a whole of buildings of a monastery. The church of an abbey is described as abbatial church.

The tradition attests that an abbey existed in Loctudy, an abbot directed the monastery. This tradition is consolidated by the name of the town of Pont-l'Abbé (Pont 'n Abbad), the bridge of the abbot (the bridge built by the abbot) or perhaps more logically, the bridge of the abbey. With bottom Average Age, the current place of Pont-l'Abbé, it was to exist a strengthened hamlet which belonged to the abbey of Loctudy. In fact, a strengthened hillock (Roz-ar-Hastel) exists since the Roman period close to Pont-l'Abbé.

We know few things of the transitory abbey and monastery of Loctudy. It seems that the site of the monastery was located around the current site of the Saint-Tudy church and the presbytery. He was put at bag by the Scandinavian conquerors in IXe century [b_corv01]

It should be stressed the fact according to which the abbey of Saint-Gildas-of-Rhuys had been an influence on the monastery of Loctudy. At the beginning of XIIe century, the church of this monastery was governed by three canons of which one was with the appointment of the abbot of [Saint-Gildas-of-] Rhuis and two others with the choice of the bishop of Quimper. [b_corv01]

An Assumption of rebuilding on computer of a model of the Saint Tudy church of Loctudy to the Middle Ages (12th century), with roman bell-tower and frontage, is presented.
Roman St Tudy church
Fig. – Site Loctudy © Copyright 2011 - Assumption of rebuilding on computer of a model of the Saint Tudy church of Loctudy to the Middle Ages (12th century), with roman bell-tower and frontage.

Actual St Tudy church
Fig. – Actual St Tudy church of Loctudy.

The vice-chancellors of Loctudy

In 1808, the vice-chancellor of Loctudy was Mr. Cariou who also undoubtedly dealt with the church of Ile-Tudy (Island Tudy near and in face of Loctudy), without Pasteur from 1804 to 1825, since it drew up in 1808 an inventory of the church of Ile-Tudy [b_peyr02].
In 1824, the vice-chancellor of Loctudy was "Yves Moëlo, born in Arzano (Arzannö) 27 Avril 1794" [b_bern01 p.20-21].
"It had begun its studies with the Abbot Le Nir [Lenir], at the presbytery of Arzano, all as [the poet] Brizeux of which it was going to remain the friend. He continued them with the College of Quimper" [b_gral01 p. 150-151].
It "was ordered priest on May 27, 1820. Appointed vicar with Saint Mathieu [Quimper], it remain on this place a little more than one year. In August 1, 1821, it is named vice-chancellor of Langoulen [Langolen], then on October 1, 1824, vice-chancellor of Loctudy." [b_bern01 p.20-21]
"At Loctudy, one had not lost yet the memory of Mr. Moëlo, there is a score years [ about 1910 ]. With the presbytery one called [still at that time ] a room located on the turret, the "room of the revelations of Mr. Moëlo. One believed him, indeed, gifts of prediction." [b_bern01 p.20-21]
Mr. Moëlo makes print in 1828 the book of the end of the world of which the title page "precises the title which becomes: << the good news, i.e. the news of nearest delivery of the Church by the end of the world >>". [ b_gral01]
"In the strange book, touffu, which it made print, it announces the end of the world for the year 2004" [b_bern01]
"In the warning part, one reads: << three last hours of Wednesday after Sunday from Easter, ninth day of April 1828, being with knees in the room [of the revelations] of the presbytery of Loctudy, which is with the Eastern end of this house, I wished to know the duration of the pelerinage of the Church and the time when it must leave the place of its exile to fly away in the centre of its divine husband >> " [b_bern01]
"It is [ thus ] on April 9, 1828 (...) which it had the idea of writing this book and to fix, afterwards scientists calculations (...) the end of the world in year 2004 of Incarnation ". [b_gral01]
"It appears that there were several editions of the booklet. Louis Ogès mentions one edition of 1867 of 43 pages." [b_gral01 ]

See page bibliography.

[n01] Loch-Tudy.
[n02] the name which give the name to.
[n03] The small port.
[n04] this architectural term has been largely criticized.

Site Loctudy - Welcome

Site Loctudy - © Copyright 2011 – All rights reserved.