History of Loctudy
between 400 and 500:
In the context of the decline of the Roman empire in Europe (between 383 and 476) and under there pressure of Pictes, the Angles and Saxon, several waves of briton emigration take place of insular Brittany [Great Britain - Grande Bretagne], more precisely of Cornwalls in Britain(Cornouailles anglaise) and of Wales, towards Armorique [Small Brittany - Petite Bretagne][b_kerb01].
As in all the places devoted to a saint, the real presence of Saint Tudy in l'Ile Tudy (peninsula/island) or in Loctudy is of course of doubtful validity. Tudy, man wise and holy, emigrates like simple monk (n01) in Cornwall in Brittany in France (Cornouaille) fleeing his country invaded by the Saxon ones. Its origin is vague: Cornwalls (Cornouailles) or Wales. Its first destination is not clearly definite: Poul Cong (Conquet) in [old] Cornwall (n02) or l'Ile Tudy in Letau (Large Cornwall) [b_kerb01 p.81 chart Nø2].
The canons Peyron and Abgrall indicate that "Saint Tudy is established initially at l'Ile Tudy, before even as it built its monastery on the close coast at Loctudy"[b_peyr02]. The tradition reports that a simple vault would have existed in l'Ile Tudy. The primitive church of Loctudy, extremely modest, in fact would have been built only after the death of Saint Tudy and a transfer of the worship of the saint would have taken place from l'Ile Tudy towards Loctudy [b_thom01]. "the modesty of the primitive church with Loctudy was certainly large until the construction of the actual [church]." [b_thom01]
"Locus-Tudy [place devoted to Tudy], will become the name of the locality " [b_jour01]. If it is possible that a primitive church existed in Loctudy, there is no historical trace of a primitive monastery. The monastery, of which we will speak again, within the meaning of one together of stone buildings, if there existed, is undoubtedly time more tardive.
between 800 and 900:
In the context of forwardings of plundering of Norman in Brittany.
"the monks who directed the grubbing of the grounds dispersed in IXe century, with moment of the invasion of the Norman ones. On their return, they found, firmly installed on the river [of Pont-l'Abbé (Bridge the Abbot)], the Barons du Pont, powerful feudal, true main of places. Indeed, the territorial influence of Loctudy covered [at that time] the portion of Pont-l'Abbé located on right bank of the river" [ b_jour01].
between 900 and 1000:
In the context of the end of forwardings of plundering of Norman afte the treaty of St Clearly-sur-Epte in 911, the Breton monasteries in ruin are reconstructed.
"the Abbey of Fleury (current Saint-Benoît-sur-Loire) had bonds established with Armorique. Indeed, Mabbon, bishop of Léon, had come to be made monk with Fleury in the medium of Xe century, undoubtedly in 952, bringing with him the relics of Paul or Pol Aurélien, its predecessor on the head office of Léon.
The presence of the relics of Saint Pol justified the arrival of pelerins, especially Breton. Among them, a monk, who lived as a hermit in Ouessant island, Felix, left his hermitage into 994, with the permission of the bishop of Léon, Paulilian or Pauliucan, and remained a few times with the abbey of Fleury. However, at the request of the duke of Rennes, Geoffroy Ier, illustrates it Gauzlin, abbot of Fleury, sent it, into 1008, with some monks of Fleury, to raise them ruins of the Breton monasteries destroyed by the Norman ones, in particular Saint-Gildas-Of-Rhuys (Vita Gauzlini).
One cannot thus be surprised to find the plan of Saint-Benoît-sur-Loire, a basilica with central nave and collateral, with large arcades in full swifter, a transept or false-transept and a chorus capped of a half dome, separated by high columns of a deambulatoire, gréffé itself of three radiating chapels, as well with Saint-Gildas-of-Rhuys, devoted on September 30 1032, as in Landévennec and Loctudy, built in the tread, like Fouesnant." [b_thom01]
The splendid church of Loctudy was thus built (or rebuilt) in XIe century in the purest style of the Roman art. It had apparently row of "abbatial church " [b_jour01], i.e. it belonged to a monastery directed by or for the benefit of an abbot.
between 1200 and 1300:
In the context of the High Means-Age.
"Priory of the Abbey of Saint-Gildas-of-Rhuys, Loctudy was, in XIIIe century, the stake of a conflict, between the abbot of this monastery [St Gildas] and the Baront du Pont, for the perception of benefit."
In 1220, a significant act was signed in Quimper, between Hervé, abbot of Saint-Gildas of-Rhuys and Rainaud, Bishop of Quimper, concerning the granting by the Bishop of three cannonicats in the church Saint-Tudy, of which an agreement with perpetuity with the abbey of Saint-Gildas-of-Rhuys.
In 1223, a second act, supplementing that of 1220, was signed between Rainaud, Bishop of Quimper, and Hervé, lord of Pont l'Abbé, in the presence of Josse, Archbishop of Tours, in which Hervé du Pont confirms the cancellation of his right of patronage on the church Saint-Tudy.
Although strongly refuted and resting on no historical proof, the origin of the church Saint Tudy was allotted to Templars by some authors.
See page bibliography.
(n01) According to A. de la Borderie, Saint Tugdual of Cornwall arrives in Armorique in simple monk while his homonym Saint Tugdual of Tréguier arrives in the Armorica peninsula, like abbot, head of a many monastic family.
(n02) It is here about the place where Saint Tugdual [rather the saint Tugdual of Tréguier] accosted, known as Pabu, on its arrival in Armorique at the 6th century: the fine sand split of PorsPabu, close to the Kermorvan point, opposite Conquet, close to Brest (Finistère).
Site Loctudy - Welcome
Site Loctudy - © Copyright 2011 – All rights reserved.